Afternoon Exercise Linked to Reduced Risk of Premature Death from Heart Disease
A recent study has found that people who exercise in the afternoon may reduce their risk of premature death due to heart disease more than if they exercised in the morning or evening. The study, which looked at more than 90,000 men and women, found that the benefits of afternoon exercise were most pronounced for men and the elderly. Additionally, the research suggests that physical activity at any time of day is better for longevity than not exercising at all.
However, the findings of this study have complicated the question of when to work out. Morning exercise may be most effective for burning fat, while evening exercise may improve mood. Therefore, it may be beneficial to exercise at different times depending on your goal.
In a different study, researchers from the Karolinska Institutet and the University of Copenhagen found that mice who exercised in the late morning burned more adipose tissue (body fat) than mice who exercised in the late evening. They also saw changes in the way adipose tissue genes responded following exercise. This suggests that exercising in the morning may be the most effective time to burn fat and lose weight.
Along with this, exercise can help reduce stress, improve cardiovascular health, reduce blood pressure, and enhance overall mental health. Furthermore, exercising for at least 30 minutes each day may help improve the quality of your sleep.
In general, the best advice is to be active and engage in exercise, regardless of the time you’re able to work out. However, if you’d like to burn a little more fat and slowly lower your body’s fat stores, exercising before noon may have advantages. On the other hand, if your primary aim is longevity, then get up and move around more during the afternoon, if possible. This time frame coincides with the time of day when people are least likely to experience a heart attack.
0. “Afternoon exercise linked to lower risk of early death in new study” Insider, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.insider.com/afternoon-exercise-lower-risk-of-early-death-new-study-2023-2
1. “For a longer life, afternoon exercise may be best, a large study shows” newsindiatimes.com, 22 Feb. 2023, https://www.newsindiatimes.com/for-a-longer-life-afternoon-exercise-may-be-best-a-large-study-shows
2. “Study reveals the optimal time to work out to live longer” New York Post , 23 Feb. 2023, https://nypost.com/2023/02/23/study-reveals-the-optimal-time-to-work-out-to-live-longer
3. “Morning exercise burns more body fat, mouse study shows” The Conversation, 21 Feb. 2023, https://theconversation.com/morning-exercise-burns-more-body-fat-mouse-study-shows-200130
4. “Morning Exercise May Be Most Effective Time to Burn Fat, Stu…” MENAFN.COM, 20 Feb. 2023, https://menafn.com/1105600586/Morning-Exercise-May-Be-Most-Effective-Time-to-Burn-Fat-Study-Suggests
5. “Weight Loss Tips: Here Are The Benefits Of Working Out For Just 30 Minutes Daily” NDTV, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.ndtv.com/health/weight-loss-tips-here-are-the-benefits-of-working-out-for-just-30-minutes-daily-3807619
6. “New Study Claims Exercising In The Afternoon Is Better, Leads To Longer Life” Medical Daily, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.medicaldaily.com/study-claims-exercising-afternoon-better-leads-longer-life-468230