How Exercise Affects Testosterone Levels
Exercise has a major effect on testosterone levels, but the actual outcome can depend on several factors. Different types of exercise can either raise or lower your testosterone levels, and the intensity and duration of the workout can also play a role. Body composition and fitness level are also important considerations in how exercise affects your testosterone levels.
A 2016 study found that overweight and obese men saw an increase in their testosterone when they increased their physical activity, more so than when they just restricted calories. Exercise is linked to increased testosterone, and a regular workout routine can also help improve sexual health. A study published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine showed that women who exercised at least six hours per week exhibited less sexual resistance and distress in their clitoral arteries than those who did not exercise. Improved blood flow and a healthy circulatory system can also help men with erectile dysfunction.
Any form of cardio exercise can contribute to improved sexual health. You can start with walking and a pelvic floor strengthening plan before progressing to running. Strength exercises and high-intensity interval training (HIIT) can temporarily boost testosterone, but the surge doesn’t last long. A 2016 study found that starting resistance training with large muscle groups and then focusing on small muscle groups produced the largest testosterone response.
Endurance-based exercises, like cardio, can reduce testosterone, according to studies. Any exercise is beneficial for your overall health, maintaining a healthy body weight and your testosterone level. Aerobic exercise helps in reducing body weight, and lowers blood pressure, blood sugar levels and body fat. Cardio exercise should be done at a moderate or high-intensity level to improve heart health.
0. “Don’t Underestimate the Benefits of Exercise” Giddy, 10 Feb. 2023, https://getmegiddy.com/dont-underestimate-benefits-exercise
1. “Will Running Help Me Have Better Orgasms?” Giddy, 14 Feb. 2023, https://getmegiddy.com/running-orgasms
2. “Exercise and Testosterone: Types of Workouts, Benefits” Men’s Health, 12 Feb. 2023, https://www.menshealth.com/health/a42758649/does-working-out-increase-testosterone/
3. “How exercise affects your testosterone levels” Times of India, 14 Feb. 2023, https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/fitness/how-exercise-affects-your-testosterone-levels/photostory/97917142.cms
4. “Does more exercise mean greater benefits to the heart?” The Indian Express, 9 Feb. 2023, https://indianexpress.com/article/health-wellness/more-exercise-benefits-heart-8433095/