The Importance of a Good Night’s Sleep
We all know that a good night’s sleep is essential to our physical and mental health, but many of us are still struggling to get the quality sleep that we need. If you’re having trouble sleeping, it’s time to take action. Here are some tips from the experts at the National Sleep Foundation, Harvard Medical School, and the American Medical Association on how to sleep better, including how to establish a sleep routine, choose the right temperature for your bedroom, and limit caffeine intake.
Start by establishing a consistent bedtime routine. This means going to sleep and getting up at the same time every day, including weekends. Make sure to do calming activities before bed, like taking a warm bath or using relaxation techniques. Keep your bedroom dark, quiet, and at a comfortable temperature, and avoid bright lights and electronic devices an hour before bedtime.
It’s also important to watch what you eat and drink before bedtime. Avoid large meals, alcohol, and caffeine, especially late in the day. And if you’re still having trouble falling asleep after about 20 minutes, get up and do something relaxing like reading or listening to music, then go back to bed when you’re tired.
Exercise can also help improve sleep quality – just make sure it’s not too close to bedtime. Aim to finish any vigorous exercise at least three to four hours before you go to bed. And if you’re still not sleeping, consider consulting a doctor about the possibility of over-the-counter or prescription medication.
Finally, meditation may be beneficial for those with sleep disturbances. Consider downloading an app like Twilight or Light Timer to limit screen time during the evening, or trying guided imagery and bedtime stories to encourage sleep. With these tips, you can start to get the quality sleep that you need.
1. “Natural Sleep Aids: Home Remedies to Help You Sleep” www.hopkinsmedicine.org, 20 Jan. 2023, https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/natural-sleep-aids-home-remedies-to-help-you-sleep
2. “5 healthy habits to help you sleep better” www.anthem.com, 20 Jan. 2023, https://www.anthem.com/blog/5-habits-to-sleep-better/
3. “25 science-backed tips for how to sleep better – Insider” www.insider.com, 20 Jan. 2023, https://www.insider.com/guides/health/how-to-sleep-better
4. “How to sleep better: 10 tips for children and teenagers” raisingchildren.net.au, 20 Jan. 2023, https://raisingchildren.net.au/toddlers/sleep/better-sleep-settling/sleep-better-tips
5. “8 secrets to a good night’s sleep – Harvard Health” www.health.harvard.edu, 20 Jan. 2023, https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/8-secrets-to-a-good-nights-sleep
6. “Changing your sleep habits: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia” medlineplus.gov, 20 Jan. 2023, https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000757.htm
7. “20 Ways to Sleep Better Tonight – Consumer Reports” www.consumerreports.org, 20 Jan. 2023, https://www.consumerreports.org/sleeping/ways-to-sleep-better-tonight-a4428763107/
8. “How To Sleep Better In 2023, According To A Sleep Hygiene …” www.forbes.com, 20 Jan. 2023, https://www.forbes.com/sites/nomanazish/2022/12/28/how-to-sleep-better-in-2023-according-to-an-expert/